Each coach must participate in a certified concussion training course or obtain a Pupil Activity Permit from the Ohio Department of Education. The training must be renewed every three years. Leagues and tournaments must collect and maintain certificates of compliance from the coaches and may ask for evidence of compliance. At any time, the ODH (or other governing bodies) may request evidence of compliance with the training requirements and leagues must be able to produce confirmation for each coach.
All USSF referees must also be able to demonstrate that they have complied with the training requirements of Bill 143. Each referee must receive concussion training prior to April 26, 2013, and that training must be renewed every three years. Upon TC United’s request, referees must be able to produce evidence of compliance with the training requirement.
The Ohio Department of Health has approved the following free online
approved online training courses available. TC United mandates that its members use the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS). The NFHS requires a user to login but allows leagues to track coaches’ progress and allows coaches to log in and print their certification should they require a new certificate or provide TC United with proof of compliance.FREEThere are trainings for coaches and referees:
National Federation of State High School Associations Concussion in Sports:
(This free on-line course is available through the NFHS. You will need to click the “order here” button and complete a brief registration form to take the course. However, you do not need to be a member of NFHS to access this course.)
Follow these steps to complete the course:
1) Click on the button that says, please login to order. In the window that appears, click Register Now.
2) When your registration is complete you may "order" the free concussion course (left hand side of the page).
3) Continue following prompts. Although it may look like you'll be charged for the course, there is no cost.
4) Once you've completed the "checkout," you'll be able to take the free online course.
5) You will be issued a certificate of completion when finished. Please email us a copy of this certificate.
If you have any questions regarding the concussion training please contact our Director of Coaching: